Diabetes Care in Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois
Here in the country, diabetes is one of the leading causes of disabilities and fatalities among seniors. If your family member doesn’t have it, there’s a good chance that you know someone who is diagnosed with this condition. As a premier Home Health Agency in Illinois, we would like to share these helpful guidelines in caring for a loved one with diabetes.
In general, elderly people diagnosed with diabetes have to be checked for the following:
- Depression: Seniors who get diagnosed with diabetes can easily feel isolated and helpless with their condition, which can drive them to depression.
- Blood sugar level: Elderly people with diabetes should stay away from low blood sugar, thus, their diet and medication have to be constantly monitored.
- Physical activities: Seniors with diabetes and are capable of doing regular exercises should set goals of activities that reduce sugar levels similar to the younger person.
- Cardiovascular illness: When an older adult with diabetes also has heart ailments, these conditions have to be checked in double measure as these can be complicated by diabetes.
In most cases, the needs of a diabetic person at home will require skilled Nursing Care, especially when there are wounds to be tended to. With help from home health care providers, this need can now be addressed even at home.
Meanwhile, family caregivers can still assist their family members with diabetes in other factors such as the following:
- Ensure that their nutritional needs are met. Diabetic patients have to be encouraged to eat fruits and vegetables especially those that can prevent the increase of blood sugar levels. Family members can prepare these foods, remind their loved ones to eat them, and even cheer for their beloved in finishing these types of meals.
- Assist their diabetic loved one in doing daily exercises. If they’re not available for the day, they can always tap the assistance of providers of Home Health Services in Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois. There are also routines that can be assisted by licensed physical therapists that can help improve the strength and health of diabetic individuals. Exercises that are ideal for diabetic seniors can include any or all of the following:
- Flexibility exercise
- Balance exercise
- Strength training exercise
- Endurance exercise
- Learn more about diabetes and all other aspects that need to be learned about the condition. Education is your tool in being able to provide adequate care while helping your loved one to make informed decisions about their illness.
- Take note of diabetes complications which can occur to any patient. For instance, unattended wounds can get infected and could result to amputation. Diabetes can also complicate the basic senses of seeing and hearing, of memory and cognition, and even of joints and bones.
With our team at Dependable Nursing Home Health Services, Inc., we provide helpful assistance in caring for your elderly loved one with diabetes at home. Contact us about our services if you would like to know more.